Friday, May 8, 2015

Big News!!!

Hi!


I have BIG news! Today I found out that the person who runs the official 20-time site tweeted my Spanish teacher. The website, 20-time.org, wants to do a feature on our classes! They also said they were very impressed with our blogs. I am so excited, this means we are going big! We are still waiting on information regarding what they would like us to do but either way this is an amazing opportunity. On the website there is a video from York School and all the students who participated in 20-time introduced their projects. It would be really cool to be able to do something like that. I know we have some really good candidates in our class who would be able to make a great video.

So I am finally in class for 20-time! I feel like it's been so long since I have sat down peacefully in my English class to work on my project and write my blog. Usually I write my blogs at home or on my phone and I don't feel like I have done things the "right way" But as I described in my previous post I have a million thoughts going through my head right now. There are two weeks until Freshmen Orientation. I have my speech ready and I usually don't get nervous speaking in front of people but this is so different. Usually when I give presentations it's in class for my teachers and peers. But now it's the real thing. I am presenting the program to the parents who are members of the community. It's great feeling seeing my project slowly come to life.

I gave my document which explains the program to the NHS adviser and I am waiting for him to read it and tell me what he thinks. I am actually hoping he does make changes so I can make this program the best it can be. The  NHS meeting is next Thursday and I just got permission from Ms. Hechlik to present my program at the meeting after school. I am also excited to see what Mr.Frye has to say regarding the document.

My next mini goal is to figure out all the dates that the mentors will meet with their freshmen and specifically what will take place at each meeting. This is going to be kind of hard but after everything I have been through regarding this project I know I'll survive. Plus I have so many mentors. I have my official mentor, Mrs. Outinen but I have all these other people that I can go to for help and I consider myself really lucky. A big shout out to my unofficial mentors: Ms. Hechlik, Mrs. Bonotto, Mr.DeBoer, and Mrs.Kastl. They have all helped me throughout my journey in so many ways. I love you guys all, I can say that we have great staff members!

As of now I have a small idea of how and when I want the mentors to meet with the freshmen but it all depends on the number of people that sign up to be mentors. I am really hoping to get a mix of 10th and 11th graders to ensure that this program goes on after I leave high school. My layout for the meetings includes the mentors meeting the freshmen during crucial times of the year. The most important time is the beginning of the year. It's going to be hard to arrange for times and small details since the beginning of the year is so busy for everyone but I am sure we will work something out. I am really excited to see who signs up to be mentors. In the end I want this to be a win-win situation for everyone. I get to see my dream come true, the freshmen feel welcomed at Dow and the mentors can use this as volunteer hours and even put this on their applications for college. This is a program that is meant to help everyone. Even teachers can feel at ease to know that there are upperclassmen helping the freshmen out. Hopefully the freshmen can follow the upperclassmen and join when they have a chance.

Thank you to everyone that has listened to me and guided me thus far.

With Love,
Vrushangi





9 comments:

  1. Vrushangi,
    quiero ser un parte de tu programa. pienso que es importante para freshman tener un mentor. no quise un mentor durante mi freshman ano
    Buena Suerte
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me gustaria si tu puedes ser un mentor en mi programa, venir a la "meeting" de NHS manana!

      Delete
    2. Me gustaria si tu puedes ser un mentor en mi programa, venir a la "meeting" de NHS manana!

      Delete
  2. Wow Vrushangi your project is really coming along! I'll be at the NHS meeting tomorrow so I'll be supporting you the whole way through! I think you will do wonderfully at freshmen orientation. I think it's a great idea to get sophomores and juniors involved so that they continue the program after you leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! Your support means a lot. I really hope the program continues after we leave!

      Delete
  3. It's great to see how far you've come with this idea of yours! I'm excited to see it become a reality and you seem genuinely interested in it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how Thursday goes! I love your energy. Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete