Friday, May 15, 2015

Another Step to my Goal!

Happy Friday Everyone,

Yesterday I had to present my program at both the morning and afternoon NHS meeting and people actually signed up!  I can proudly say that I got 29 people on board and I plan on expanding to other organizations like Key Club. I think this is a great start but now I have to do all the detailed planning. Mrs. Hechlik suggested that I make a contract that the mentors have to sign in order to be a part of Freshmen First and I think this is a great idea. It will build more accountability so people don't just blow it off. I also sent the final flyer to Mr. Samocki, another one of my great mentors. After talking all week long I finally have a flyer all set to go. I am really proud of it and I hope the parents like it. This is the flyer I will be giving out when I give my speech at orientation next Thursday! It is crazy to think but I have to print 300 copies!!! 

As far as the planning goes for this year I need to have a set plan for the mentors. Mrs. Hechlik also suggested on training the mentors to make it a little easier for everyone. I have so much to do before the end of the school year. My next goal is to have a set plan for all the meetings with the mentors this year as well as the dates for the meetings with the freshmen next year. I also need to find a training method and implement it asap! Another mini goal is to have the contract ready before the meeting with the mentors. I am a little overwhelmed but I know once this is done I won't have much to worry about until August. I would love it if the counselors could set a time during the August Orientation where only freshmen can come. This would be really helpful because I can have the mentors come in on that day and meet with their freshmen and give them a tour with a question and answer session to. I just had another idea regarding the meetings with the freshmen next year, I could possibly set up activities based on the time of the year. For example at the meeting before exams there could be "study stations." I think once I get the mentors together, we can all brainstorm idea

I am really excited for this program but at the same time I feel a little nervous because things don't always go as planned. This whole program seems really nice and organized in my head and I really hope that once it becomes a reality it stays that way. Of course nothing is ever set in stone but it would be nice if most of my vision came alive. I finally feel so great about 20-time.

Today in Spanish I was introduced to the final assignment regarding 20-time and we have to give a ted talk about our journey and I realized how much I have been through to get to this point. I am excited for the ted talks in Spanish and English because I can talk about all my difficulties as well as what I have achieved. My journal with 20-time so far has been full of ups and downs but I am a strong believer of the saying, "everything happens for a reason" I know I had a rough start but all the hardships have made me appreciate this project even more. I honestly believe I have found more success in the short time that I have spent on Freshmen First then the long hours I spent on my first project. Now that I look back I see a much a different me. I am now someone has not only learned from her hardships and mistakes but also taken those mistakes and turned them into something better. 

With Love,
Vrushangi 

No comments:

Post a Comment