Monday, April 13, 2015

A New Road to a New Project

Hey Everyone,

I feel like I haven't posted in so long but now that I have a chance to tell you guys everything I am so excited. I have a new project! After going to the ER twice during spring break I have learned my lesson. I know how important health is, so here I am! I am starting a new project with a positive attitude and faith in my new vision. My new project is called Freshmen First, and it is a transition program for freshmen who will be coming to my high school this fall. Here is how I got the idea for this program.

Flashback:
I went downstate at the beginning of the school year and when I was visiting my religious temple I saw a boy wearing a shirt from my old school district. On the back of his shirt it is said Link Crew, I wondered what it was but I wasn't sure. That night I went a friend's house and when we were talking about school she asked me if I had heard of the link crew. She explained to me that her school had established the link crew as a transition program for incoming freshman and it really helped them. I really loved the idea and hoped that I could do something like that at my school. After researching what the link crew was I learned that it could cost hundreds of dollars for a school to establish it and train students and staff members. But I couldn't let money stop me!! I had an idea at that very moment. I could just start my own program that would be free of cost. So I started planning but it was all over the place since I never had no time to devote to it.

Now after everything I know I have time to make this program work. I hope to run this program through the National Honor Society and I have talked to the teacher who runs it. He loves my idea! Now I know I have a medium through which I can introduce and run Freshmen First. I have also been in talks with my mentor and she has helped me so much along the way. We have come up with a rough draft for the project outline. I am currently working on a final draft that I can turn into the NHS leader so we can have somewhat of a set outline for how this program is going to work. As of now I have a small plan for how I want to run FF. I want incoming juniors and seniors (members of NHS) to be mentors for the freshmen. My ultimate goal for this project is for the freshmen to feel situated at school. I want them to know that there are other students who can relate to them and help them with high school. I also want parents to know that their kids have a medium through which they can ask questions and feel comfortable at school. A transition into high school can be scary because it is such a new experience. I think having a mentor will give the freshmen a reassuring feeling.

So I really hope this new project goes well! I would like to acknowledge the continuous support of my family, friends and teachers. Thank you for all that you do, whether it is listening to me or helping me find new solutions. It really makes a difference to know that I have such a great group of people backing me up!

With Love,
Vrushangi

17 comments:

  1. Wow I think this is awesome! I remember being an incoming freshmen and it was very scary. It is such a great idea to start something like this so that they can feel more comfortable with the new setting and everything. I'm really excited to see how this works out!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I am hoping that this program will help them as well because I remember the scary transition. Hoping for the best! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great project that will do a lot for making the awkward transition form middle school to high school better. I'm currently a sophomore on probation for NHS and if I make it in I'd be happy to help out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David! I'd love for you to help out. I will be introducing the project at the next NHS meeting so please do sign up and if you have any questions please feel free to ask

      Delete
  3. Lo siento de tu primer proyecto, pero este proyecto es un buena idea! Buena suerte!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Este es una buena idea! Espero que suceda en Dow High!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creo que esta idea es my inteligente y va a tener in gran efecto a Los niños de el grado nueve con un efecto positivo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias!!! Espero que este proyecto es bien!

      Delete
  6. Freshman first es un proyecto muy bueno Buena suerte

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your idea is amazing! I think that future incoming freshmen would greatly appreciate a program like Freshmen First.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great new plan. I love how much you've learned about yourself and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love all the learning as well!

      Delete